1. Read the Aims & Scope to gain an overview and assess if your manuscript is suitable for this journal;
2. Use the Microsoft Word template to prepare your manuscript;
3. Make sure that issues about publication ethics, research ethics, copyright, authorship, figure formats, data and references format have been appropriately considered;
4. Ensure that all authors have approved the content of the submitted manuscript.
Article Templete an Instructions
Link : http://bit.ly/inajns-templete2020
This file contains article template, as well as instructions on how to prepare your papers for publication in Indonesian Journal of Neurosurgery.
Starting Volume 3 in 2020, we have updated Ina-JNS template for international issues (Microsoft Word file -DOCX, 118 KB) Updated January 2020
Points to Consider Before Submission of Papers
Peer Review Process
An author can submit the paper which shows originality and contributes to the body of knowledge. The paper must not be submitted elsewhere concurrently and must not be published anywhere else in any form other than abstract. All manuscripts received must be original and will be subject to a single-blind review process. Editors conducted an initial screening review based on First Authors Submission. If the manuscript meets the basic journal standards, it will be processed into the peer review phase. At least 2 independents reviewers will evaluated the manuscript. Based on the reviewers report and recommendation, Editors decides whether to accept or reject the article. The editor will weigh all views and may call for a third opinion if necessary. The final decision made by the editor is unappealable.
The submission file is the docx format in Microsoft Word 2007 or later version. The manuscript is written on the A4 paper size and the content is displayed in double columns. Please use the Ina-JNS template to make it easier for you to write the manuscript, in addition to helping the editor in layout editing process.
Manuscripts must be submitted in English and structured using the IMRaD (Introduction, Method, Results, Discussion, and Conclusion) format. You need to write the Results and Discussion chapter separately. Manuscripts can be any length, using figures and tables effectively. Please used single- space, double column, and max 2 level heading in your manuscripts. Use Vancouver standard for Reference style. Make sure you use Citation & Bibliography feature in Microsoft Word for handling citation in manuscript.
Manuscript Submission Overview
Types of Publications
The length of the text in Ina-JNS is between 6 and 12 pages which provided concise and comprehensive content. Full experimental details must be provided so that the results can be reproduced. Manuscripts submitted to Ina-JNS should neither been published before nor be under consideration for publication in another journal. The main article types are as follows:
- Articles: Original research manuscripts. The journal considers all original research manuscripts provided that the work reports scientifically sound experiments and provides a substantial amount of new information. Quality and impact of the study will be considered during peer review.
- Reviews: These provide concise and precise updates on the latest progress made in a given area of research.
- Case Report: Providing neurosurgeons and researchers with an educational forum in which to disseminate their personal experience and novel treatments to a wide readership and by reviewing interesting, rare cases encountered by colleagues all over the world.
Preparation of a Manuscript
The author is required to comply to all undermentioned requirements in order to make the paper acceptable to the editorial board.
- Title :
- The title is written briefly, describing the contents and contributions of the manuscript. The title also does not use abbreviations or acronyms except the standard ones.
- The title of the manuscript is written using ‘Capitalize Each Word’, except conjunctions using lowercase.
- The place and time of research do not need to be included in the title unless the research is specific to a particular time and place.
- Detail information of the author(s) :
- All authors have been written in the manuscript and also in the OJS system. One of the authors who corresponded through the OJS system was determined as the correspondence authors.
- All authors must include e-mails in the OJS system.
- Correspoding author must include e-mail in the manuscript and in the OJS system.
- Affiliation information is written in 1 line in the text, at least showing the name of the institution and country.
Structure of the Paper
- Abstract : The abstract may not exceed 250 words. Abstracts arranged in a structured manner. Consisting of Background, Objective, Methods, Results, and Conclusion.
Background: What is the latest knowledge on the issue? Some key phrases to use here are: recent studies/although some clinical research has established x, the role of y is not well known.
Objective: What did you want to find out? Some key phrases to use here are: This study examines/To ascertain/To identify/To understand.
Methods: How did you go about finding it? What type of methodology did you use? A quantitative study/a randomized controlled study/a qualitative survey/a literature review/a double blind trial.
Results: What did you find? What data or outcomes did you observe? You can use phrases such as X was observed because of Y. Do not be vague! State exactly what you found.
Conclusion: What did your results tell you? Did you find out what you wanted? Why or why not? What should be studied next?
- Keywords :
- The number of keywords between 4 and 6.
- Keywords are arranged in alphabetical order.
- A combination of all keywords represents the content, contribution, or purpose of the text.
The length of the text is between 6 and 12 pages which includes all text, figures/tables/ and references.
- The Introduction
This section must contain:
- Has explained the context/object of research and must focus in accordance with the scope of the title.
- Has explained why this research is important.
- It has included the existing research gap, explaining the unique differences from this study compared to similar previous studies.
- Has written research objectives/contributions explicitly.
- The length of this section is between 300 – 700 words.
- Literature Review
This section is optional. This section may only be available if the explanation related to previous research is not sufficient if it is only shown in the introduction.
- Has cited a source who helped the authors in the selection of methods.
- Has explained how data is obtained.
- The procedure has been written chronologically and clearly.
- The authors have written how the results will be measured, tested, and evaluated.
- The results of the study are written in logical sequences, according to the research flow.
- The results of the study are presented in the form of narrative/textual, tables or images in the form of graphs or diagrams. Avoid displaying raw data.
- An explanation of the results and in-depth analysis has been written.
- Comparison of results with other studies has been written.
- Limitation of study or threat to validity has been written.
It has been explicitly written down the contribution of the manuscript and the answers to the research questions.
If it is a funded research, information on funders agency must be provided along with the contract number (if any).
Conflict of Interest
Stated that there is no conflict of interest related to the materials, methods, and findings in this study.
All financial resources must be declared in the manuscript.
The role of the author(s) in the research should also be written (e.g.: participate in the design of the study, participate in the analysis and interpretation of the data).
- Use Vancouver citation style.
- Make sure all information related to the reference is written completely (eg Who, Where, and When). Check from the primary source for this information. write the name of the journal without abbreviations. Please include DOI if it’s available.
Other Formatting Requirements:
- There are no spelling mistakes, typos, and grammatical errors. You can use tools such as grammarly or recommendations provided by MS Word for language checking.
- Use direct and short sentences. Long sentences do not make the writing more professional; they only confuse readers.
Tables and Figures
- Already using the appropriate format in displaying images and tables.
- The image or graph must be self-explanatory, so it does not depend on the text.
- Minimum image resolution is not specified, but must be clearly visible when published online (colored) or printed (black and white).
- Images do not have copyright issues.
- All images and tables have been referenced in the manuscript.
Paper Submission Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- Submission has not been previously published or is under consideration of another journal.
- The submission file format should in Microsoft Word 2007 or later version.
- The manuscript is written based on the guidelines and word template. Those can be seen in Template Paper document.
- The manuscript is used Citation & Bibliography feature in Microsoft Word for handling citation in manuscript.
- The list of authors listed at the time of submission is final and should not be changed.
- You have read and understood Journal Publication Ethics.
- Manuscripts must be submitted in English and structured using the IMRaD (Introduction, Method, Results, Discussion, and Conclusion) format. Introduction, Method, Results,
- Discussion, and Conclusion should be organized into separate sections.
Using the Vancouver standard for Reference style.
Post-Acceptance Activities Copyright Notice
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non- exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Fees and Charges
No Publication Fee for Authors.
Assignment of DOI
Ina-JNS would endeavor to assign a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) to each article after it is approved by CrossRef. This number stays forever. This number is required when a paper is in publication process after acceptance and is required to be cited by other authors.
In order to publish the article without any errors and mistakes, proof reading is a must do act. Author is required to check grammatical errors, correctness of the text, tables, figures and presentation of the materials and text. There must not be new paragraphs or new materials or text in the article once it is accepted by the editor.
Open Access Copyright
All accepted papers will be published under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication. CC-BY Licensed means lets others to Share (copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format) and Adapt (remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially).
Department of Neurosurgery Airlangga University, Faculty of Medicine Dr. Soetomo General Hospital
Gedung Diagnostik Center
Jl. Mayjen Prof. Dr. Moestopo 6-8 (Lantai 5) Surabaya 60285
Telp. +62-31-5501304 Fax +62-31-5025188
(Ms. Yutika Amelia Effendi)